Washington University School of Medicine
Washington University School of Medicine abbreviated as WUSM, is the medical school of Washing University in St. Louis. It was founded in 1891and is committed to advanced human health throughout the world. WUSM has a rich history of success in education, research and patient care. The school has established large physical therapy and occupational therapy programs as well as program in Audiology and Communication Sciences which includes Doctor of Audiology degree and Master of Science in Deaf Education degree. In this article, we have discussed about rankings, campus, programs and cost of education as well as admission process in Washington University School of Medicine in more detail.
1 WUSM Rankings
- Ranked 20 in THE 2020 World University Rankings for medicine.
- Ranked 35 in QS 2020 World University Rankings for medicine.
2 WUSM campus
The medical center of Washington University consists of 164 acres spread over approximately 12 city blocks, situated along the eastern edge of Forest Park within the Central West End neighborhood of St. Louis. The medical campus is accessible through Central West End Metro Link Station which provides a link to Danforth, North and West campuses. All full-time students and employees of Washington University are eligible for a Metro Transit U-Pass which allows students to use Metro Link and Metro buses free of cost. WUSM Medical Campus includes the following –
- Barnes-Jewish Hospital
- Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology
- Central Institute for the Deaf
- Louis Children’s Hospital
- Alvin J. Siteman Cancer Center
- Rehabilitation Institute of St. Louis
- Center for Advanced Medicine
- Women and Infants Center
- Eric P. Newman Education Center
3 WUSM Degree Programs
The School of Medicine provides master’s as well as doctoral degree programs in medicine, biomedical research allied health professions and clinical and population research as well. WUSM offers top-ranked degree programs in medicine, physical therapy, occupational therapy biomedical science and many more.
|2||Audiology and communication sciences|
|3||PhD programs in biology and biomedical sciences (DBBS)|
|4||Master’s degree program in biomedical informatics, population health sciences and clinical investigation and more.|
3.1 Medical education – includes following degree programs
- Doctor of Medicine
- Medical Scientist Training Program
- Doctor of Medicine and Doctor of Philosophy in biomedical Engineering
- Doctor of Medicine and Master of Science in Clinical Investigation
- Doctor of Medicine and Master of Population Health Sciences
- Doctor of Medicine and Master of Public Health
3.2 Audiology and communication sciences – includes following degree programs
- Speech and Hearing Sciences
- Deaf Education
3.3 PhD programs in biology and biomedical sciences (DBBS) – includes following degree programs
- Biomedical Informatics and Data Science
- Computational and Systems Biology
- Developmental, Regenerative and Stem Cell Biology
- Evolution, Ecology and Population Biology
- Molecular Microbiology and Microbial Pathogenesis etc and many more
3.4 Master’s degree program in biomedical informatics, population health sciences and clinical investigation and more – includes following degree programs
- Applied Health Behavior Research
- Biomedical Informatics
- Genetic Epidemiology
- Medical Physics
- Population Health
- Public Health etc and many more
3.5 Occupational therapy – includes following degree programs
- Rehabilitation and Participation Science
- Occupational therapy (MS)
- Occupational therapy (OTD)
3.6 Physical therapy – includes following degree programs
- Physical Therapy
- Movement Science
4 Admission process
- Pre-Medical Course Requirements – before matriculation you must need to complete the requirements of pre-medical course by college or university and preferably before applying to medical school.
- MCAT Requirement – applicants need to take medical college admission test exam prior to matriculation.
- Casper test – applicants are required to have current score of Casper test for application process. The results of Casper test are valid for one admission cycle.
- AMCAS (Primary) Application – apply to Washington University School of Medicine and other medical schools by American Medical College Application Service, a centralized application processing service. You will designate the medical schools on this primary application you are applying to.
- Secondary Application – if you have received an invitation to proceed the process of application from Washington University School of Medicine then submit the secondary application.
- Letters of Recommendations – Letters need to be on official letterhead stationery and include the author’s signature. It is an applicant responsibility to make it clear to your letter writers that the letters are required to be on letterhead and signed prior to being submitted otherwise you letter will be less considered.
- Residence Certification – residents of Washington must have a proof of state residency during the admission process whereas residents of Alaska, Idaho, Wyoming and Montana are needed to provide declared legal residency certification to complete your secondary application.
- Interview – applicants who are selected will receive an invitation for interview through E-mail.
5 Doctor of Medicine Program
Upon completion of education program as a medical student of the School of Medicine, the degree of MD is awarded to those candidates who
- have good moral and ethical character.
- have fulfilled all special requirements
6 WUSM Education Cost
Tuition fee is fixed for all incoming students and remains same for study of four year program. For a single student, the estimated expenses (Phase 1 curriculum) will be
|Student activity fee||$1,500|
|Room & Board||$14,564|
To summarize the above work, we can conclude that Washington University School of Medicine is a private research university that offers various degree programs in field of medicine, biomedical research allied health professions and clinical and population research as well for both master’s and doctorate students.